Tuesday 16 February 2016

Simplicity 2258 (sneak preview), Eason's new craft section, Tilly's Dominique skirt

The Simplicity 2258 is what I've chosen to make at my 10-week sewing course. Today I made facings! I had no idea what they were till I made one on the pocket of my skirt (you can read about them here), and it turned out so well. I had to trim and clip the seam allowances too which was a new technique to me but very easy and it works so well to form the curve. BHL describe the process clearly including the whys.

Look at that beautiful curve

I am based in Dublin and recently popped into Eason's to check out the new craft section. There's a fairly big section for icing/cake decorating, and they have a reasonable selection of sewing kit bits, although I can't vouch for the quality. I picked up these two, which are the main brand offered.

Prepared to make bias binding for a future Sorbetto
The only fabric they have is some quilting fat quarter bundles.

PS what do you think of Tilly's newly released pattern the Dominique skirts? My initial thoughts are yuck! They are not flattering. The short one has no shape and the long one seems frumpy to me. Seems a step down from her previous patterns, and rather disappointing. I'll see what everyone out there produces from the pattern but I don't think it's one I'll be tempted to buy. (I have the Love at First Stitch book which I love - such a lovely presented book - and have traced one half of a Margot pyjama bottom leg so there'll be more to come on that soon).









No comments:

Post a Comment